Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

11

I can has edit Blogger comments!

Blogger team refuses to add comment editing to Blogger. I think the reasons are not valid, something like "so the blogger won't put words to someone else's mouth". Wordpress had comment editing. I did not misuse it.

If someone posts a comment, I can delete it and post just similar comment with similar identity using name and website. I can post fake comments just on my own. That's internet. Letting us not edit comments is just stubborness. We cannot edit even our own comments, our own words!

The funny thing is, if you know what you are doing, you already can edit already published comments, your's and anyone else's. It is just a bit tricky. I don't know if anyone has figured this out before, but this works and I tested it in my test blog. I won't be too detailed in the instructions, and if you decide to try it, everything you do, you do at your own risk. I won't help you with this one.

My trick involves exporting and importing the blog and a text editor. Bells ringing already? Well, at least warning bells should, because import can fail, especially if you mess up the xml file. It is best you forget the whole thing. Ok but here we go. Export your blog to file, save file to computer. Open file with text editor. Edit the comment(s) you want to edit, save file. In your blog (this is a scary part) delete that/those post(s), which contained the edited comment(s). Import your edited xml-file. Only the missing post(s) gets imported, now with the comment(s) edited.

[Hide comments] - [Show comments]
Click on a single comment to hide/show its text

11 comments:

Aratina Cage said... [reply]

That's quite ingenious! I always thought the blog importing tool would replace everything instead of only replacing deleted posts.

I wonder, though, if someone comments on a different post from the one you are editing threads in after you have exported the blog and while you are editing the comment, when you import the blog, will the new comments be deleted since they aren't in the XML file?

I guess I'll have to try it and see.

SGBC Cebu said... [reply]

Will this still works with the classic template

MS-potilas said... [reply]

@SGBC Cebu
This is quite impractical way of editing comments, and maybe risky, if export or import fails, so I would not really suggest it in a live blog. I would instead delete the comment in question. But this trick should work for any template type, as it is about exporting and importing the blog contents.

Anonymous said... [reply]

Yeah it's better in blogger ;)
If you not OK with a comment that means that is an a spam so don't try to edit it just mark it as an a spam or delete it! That's so simple

MS-potilas said... [reply]

@dofollowexpert You're right, I recommend the same :)

Unknown said... [reply]

i actually tried this and now my blog shows duplicates, one with all the other readers comments and one with edited comment of the one user :(( anyone knows how to rectify this situation? @Aratina Cage

Kristin said... [reply]

Not necessarily. I accidentally removed the content of a perfectly fine comment because blogger is NOT mobile friendly. I would like to put it back to the way it was (the content is still available in my email) but the lack of editing makes that impossible...a better option would be for blogger to make a fully functional app like WordPress has.

Kristin said... [reply]

Not necessarily. I accidentally removed the content of a perfectly fine comment because blogger is NOT mobile friendly. I would like to put it back to the way it was (the content is still available in my email) but the lack of editing makes that impossible...a better option would be for blogger to make a fully functional app like WordPress has.

Kristin said... [reply]

Not necessarily. I accidentally removed the content of a perfectly fine comment because blogger is NOT mobile friendly. I would like to put it back to the way it was (the content is still available in my email) but the lack of editing makes that impossible...a better option would be for blogger to make a fully functional app like WordPress has.

sameer said... [reply]

An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that it is best to write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however generally people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers dark0de market url

alam said... [reply]

Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks dark0de market link

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
See the hack
for this dynamic
views icon: