Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

6

Second quickedit pencil for Blogspot post

I have sometimes chased the quickedit pencil from the bottom of the post, to edit the post. Especially if you have many comments on a long blog post, the pencil is somewhere in the middle of the page, and can be a bit tedious to find. I have often thought, that only if the quickedit pencil would be at the top of the post...

Yesterday I saw a feature suggestion in Blogger forums for a second quickedit pencil. So someone else had chased the pencil, too. :) This finally gave me the push to make this simple hack. It adds a second quickedit pencil to the upper right corner of a post.


Installation is easy. Open your template html, click Expand Widget Templates, find line:
<b:includable id='post' var='post'>
And just after that line, add this:
<!-- extra quickedit pencil / MS-potilas -->
<span style='float:right;margin-right:-25px;'><b:include data='post' name='postQuickEdit'/></span>
or add this, if you want the extra pencil only to appear when post page is opened (not shown on front page):
<!-- extra quickedit pencil / MS-potilas -->
<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == &quot;item&quot;'>
<span style='float:right;margin-right:-25px;'><b:include data='post' name='postQuickEdit'/></span>
</b:if>
Save template.

Note, that quickedit pencils are displayed only when administrator is logged in and viewing the blog. So you won't see the pencils on this blog, just on your own blog(s).
[Hide comments] - [Show comments]
Click on a single comment to hide/show its text

6 comments:

Odd Klofsten said... [reply]

Thanks

But I have a problem. I don´t have the skills to add this code nor the time to learn.

I hope Blogger will pick up this feature.

Can you somehow convince Blogspot/Google to add the feature?

BR
/Odd Klofsten

MS-potilas said... [reply]

@Odd Klofsten Hi, yes, lets hope that Blogger picks up your suggestion at the suggestions forum. But because it is "only" about usability, I think it won't get very high priority and so might take a while. I myself am just another "mortal blogger" with no connections to Blogspot/Google.

If you find time to try the editing yourself, here's a Blogger Help article about editing blog template html: http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?answer=46870. Although you have to be careful, the edits in this case are not very difficult, and it is only a one time edit per blog.

Beben Koben said... [reply]

sometimes some people delete for that...wekekekekke
nice tips ;)

yolcu said... [reply]

thanks for the tip, and I have a question about adding second quick-edit pencil.
can we add it on a floating made-only-with-css box, from the add html code widget thing, for example? thanks..

MS-potilas said... [reply]

@yolcu
Hi,

yes I think it should be possible. I'm not that good with CSS floating things so I have no code ready to give you, but you could try to use a div with similar styles as in this hack: http://yabtb.blogspot.fi/2011/10/create-image-link-dynamic-views-blogger.html.

yolcu said... [reply]

@MS-potilas

hello again and thanks for the answer to my question about floating, sorry for the delay of this message, previous time in February, I couldn't add it to my blog as I want and gave a pause to working on it, but today at last, I found a way to float it, I would like to share for other user who wishes duplicate the quick edit icon (:

thanks a lot for your very nice tip because of saving me from scrolling down long blog pages every time (:

codes:

before
]]>
there is this CSS code

.floating-menu {
padding: 5px;
z-index: 100;
position: fixed;
top: 66px;
left: 30px;
}

and at the place where there MS-potilas' code is, I put

<b:includable id='post' var='post'>
<!-- extra quickedit pencil / MS-potilas -->
<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == "item"'>
<span class='floating-menu'><b:include data='post' name='postQuickEdit'/></span>

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
See the hack
for this dynamic
views icon: